Saturday, November 18, 2006

Summary of Day 1 and 2 in Holland

Day 1

I arrived in Amsterdam on Thursday morning at 8. About 45 minutes drive later, we come to the little village of Cothen. This village is so small, I got the grand tour in about 20 minutes. But I'm sure there is more exploring to do. I just have to get out more. My main mode of transportation right now is a yellow bicycle that Danielle (my gracious host) has lent me. Thursday night was my first practice with GoconnectIT/Fortissimo. My new teammates are all really nice and helpful. Especially when the coach starts explaining the drill. At one point he was explaining a drill for 2 minutes, I look over at one of the players for a translation and all I got was "same thing." Oh...okay....keep doing what I'm doing. But overall the practice was not as tiring as I thought it would be. We did a lot of technical work with back and wing relations and back-wing-circle relations. I actually had a lot of fun. The atmosphere was very relaxed and I felt like I knew how to play handball (I don't know how I looked, but it felt good :)

Day 2

Today was a very nice day and very relaxed. We didn't have practice so I went to the gym for my workout. The gym I am using actually belongs to the company Elly works for. It's very small and very few weights. Nothing as heavy as what we usually see in the gym. The trainers Frank and Buff were very nice and was trying to give me guidance on my workout. I have never been to a gym where the trainer comes up and asks "do you need water? Tea? Coffee?" during my workout...so that was quite a novelty. I usually just nod politely and point to my water bottle. I guess the Dutch don't usually bring their own water. But I do need to remember to bring my own towel. Tonight I went with Danielle, her boyfriend Walter, and some guys from the Fortissimo men's team to play squash. Since my only other experience with this sport was that one practice on the squash courts I got my butt handed to me 6 times. Hopefully by the time I leave here, I will be a better squash player too. And to relax after 2 hours of squash, we sat at the bar and had a couple of drinks. That's all for now...I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how. Good night and stay tuned for the next exciting adventure ;)

5 Comments:

At 5:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

please change your font color. it's hideously light. :) HAHAHA. it's ok if you guys love the color though. i think i'm just blind.

 
At 5:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sunny, i am so sorry. i am stupid and forgot to read the previous post. i thought you were jennie! i hope you don't hate me. SORRY AGAIN!

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Jennie said...

hahaha ok sorry...I wasn't able to check this until now, but I fixed it. Better? Thanks for the note.

Sunny,
When you do a new post, there's a little button that looks like a picture that you can click to post pictures. From there, you just have to upload from your computer files. Hope that helps.

 
At 4:29 AM , Blogger Sunny said...

Don't worry Vickie, I don't know you to hate you :) I didn't realize Jennie was taking so much abuse over there in Sweden. And here I keep thinking she's having a good time. :\

Thanks for the advice Jennie. I'll have pictures up shortly. It's already been a crazy 3 days. Can't wait to see you in Sweden. Seems like forever already!

 
At 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sunny! Glad you made it! We missed you this weekend at the games. Have fun, and get really awesome at squash so you can hand their butts to them by the end of the trip :)

Can't wait to see you in Sweden!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home